Comments: And they've all come to look for America

Excellent. I look forward to "Tito Swam" by Tom Waits.

Posted by bpd at November 5, 2004 04:30 AM

And "Hojn Lennon" by John Lennon.

Wait, that's not a very funny idea, is it? Never mind.

Posted by Billy Joel at November 5, 2004 04:39 AM

I'd rather hear Radiohead's "I Heard Ado" or "Geoff or Shit" by Foo Fighters.

Posted by Scott at November 5, 2004 09:26 AM

Well, since I'm sticking to songwriters, I won't be doing Radiohead (like I have any chance of emulating their sound anyway). Here's a list of the upcoming songs you can look forward to (or dread, depending on your opinion of my talents):

It Loves Cellos, by Elvis Costello
Pincer, by Prince
Mitch in Jell-O, by Joni Mitchell
Presbyterians, by Britney Spears
It's Two A.M. / Stow It, Ma (medley) by Tom Waits

Suggestions for other songwriters are welcome, although I prefer to come up with the anagrams myself. (I did know about the Britney Spears one in advance.)

Posted by Francis at November 5, 2004 09:44 AM

And, yes, Britney hardly counts as a songwriter. Still. How can you pass that up?

Posted by Francis at November 5, 2004 09:47 AM

I’d love to hear songwriters for the stage, such as Cole Porter (Procter Lee? ROTC Eloper?) or Noel Coward (Rode a Clown? A Cool New Dr.? Wander Loco?) or even the latter’s song about the former: Onward Cole! Not to mention songwriters for the screen such as E.Y. “Yip” Harburg (Barry, Huey, Pig? Hairy Bug Pyre?) of “Over the Rainbow” fame, or the Sherman Brothers, who wrote “A Spoonful of Sugar” and “Winnie the Pooh”, and whose first names you would have to look up.
In the rock/folk/punk/alt/etc field, I don’t know if you’re familiar with the great Jim Infantino (of Jim's Big Ego), but I can easily imagine him writing a song about an islander in big sky country called “Fijian in Mont.” There’d be no reason for you to do it, but it’s another chance to mention Jim.

-Vardibidian.

Posted by Vardibidian at November 5, 2004 10:26 AM

Well, what about the pseudo-autobiographical "Inbred Davy," by David Byrne? Or Randy Newman's touching upcoming Pixar ballad about Grandmother Incredible's heroic death, "Warned My Nan"?

Both these have many other possible anagrams for you to choose from, but that doesn't prevent me from picking the ones I like.

Posted by Scott at November 5, 2004 12:17 PM

Quick Question for Francis: Are you using an online anagram generator and then scanning for appropriate items? Or are you completely relying on human intellect? I don't want to be cheating here.

Can't wait for It Loves Cellos - Though that might be more for Elvis' Juliet Letters phase in the early '90s.

Posted by Mark Wade at November 5, 2004 12:34 PM

I use a combination of my brain and the anagram function of the program I use to write crosswords (Crossword Compiler for Windows, or CCWin for short). The main benefit of using CCWin is that it has customizable databases -- I would expect, for instance, that online anagram generators aren't going to include the word "Jell-O".

Another song I might someday write, but which I haven't really gotten started on yet: "Bland Boy" by Bob Dylan. (How many roads must a man walk down / Before he's walked down some roads?)

Posted by Francis at November 5, 2004 12:44 PM

Ok, I'm going online then. Kids running around the house, can't think.

I'm looking forward to Alanis Morisette's post Bush re-election anthem "Materialist Noses".

Dylan anagram story 2 - John Wesley Harding (aka author to be Wesley Stace) didn't have the guts to name an album "Bob Dylan", so he's been using "Dynablob" for his fan club albums of live performances and additionsl material.

Posted by Mark Wade at November 5, 2004 12:54 PM

Alanis MorisSette. Do'h! The anagram is valid. My spelling is not.

Posted by Mark Wade at November 5, 2004 12:56 PM

Oh, and by the way, "Up on Islam" is great; very funny (and a trifle scary).

-V.

Posted by Vardibidian at November 6, 2004 08:47 AM

Great great great, Francis. I've been waiting anxiously for the book since Michael Rosen tipped me about it so long ago. This tune has helped manage my impatience. More please.

Posted by Kevin Guilfoile at November 13, 2004 09:12 PM