Comments: Get up, stand up

Hey Francis --

I am MAJORLY fascinated by Milgram's work and am (in fact) considering writing a play about him and his life's work. Are you reading the newish biography?

Posted by Colleen at September 14, 2004 11:03 AM

I wasn't aware of a newish biography, but I've been reading more about him lately and getting more fascinated by him all the time. I should check it out.

And if you're interested in making that play a musical, let me know. (^_^)

Posted by Francis at September 14, 2004 11:10 AM

Interestingly, I *did* find it felt pretty awkward to ask for a seat when I didn't have a prop -- as though I deserved it less because I'd decided to try the day without a cane, but turned out to have overestimated myself!

Posted by Rose at September 14, 2004 11:34 AM

Yeah, it's hard enough just asking someone to move their crap off the seat next to them.

Posted by Francis at September 14, 2004 01:26 PM

For Milgram's final experiment (published posthumously), he had his research associates cut in front of strangers in lines. In New York City. His hypothesis was that it would piss people off. He was right.

Every day I give thanks that I was not one of Milgram's research associates.

BTW, if you haven't seen the film Obedience, based on Milgram's most famous study, I highly recommend it. If you can't find it in the library, you can always sit in on my social psych class when I show it 11/22/04.

Posted by Jenny at September 14, 2004 02:38 PM

Do you have any more information on Milgram's experiment on cutting in line? Cally did some experiments on that subject for a sociology class in college. It seems that it's OK to cut in line to join people that you are "with" in line, so she was using this to explore the notion of what counted as "with". The most salient result was that if you walk up to someone in line and kiss them, and stay in the line, you have clearly identified yourself as a "with", so the people you have cut in front of don't mind.

Posted by Andy at September 14, 2004 03:11 PM

You can get full details of this (and other vaguely distressing studies) in The Individual in a Social World: Essays and Experiments. Chapter 4 is devoted entirely to the cutting in line experiment. It's relatively accessible for a social psych monograph.

Posted by Jenny at September 14, 2004 04:07 PM