Comments: Pericles, Prince of Tired Plots

Still, it's better than Gigli.

Posted by someguy at April 19, 2004 08:02 AM

No it isn't.

Posted by disconnect at April 19, 2004 09:03 AM

"""ACT 4, SCENE 5
...
(You would be surprised how practically verbatim this scene was.)"""

You weren't kidding.

Posted by Simon at April 19, 2004 09:13 AM

BoingBoing loves you

Posted by me at April 19, 2004 09:14 AM

That was SO funny!

If only my school days had been like this I'd...
I'd...

Actually I'd pretty much be at the same point in my life where I am now.
But at least I would've been grinning more.

Posted by acid_zebra at April 19, 2004 09:40 AM

Brilliant! Bloody brilliant! Please do more (and let me know about it!)

Posted by klone at April 19, 2004 09:42 AM

Beautiful parody. You should do The Merchant of Venice.

Posted by Nick Douglas at April 19, 2004 10:34 AM

This was a great summation, and yes it is most likely his worst. The best news is that no one should attempt adapting it to the screen cause it's so damn long.

Posted by Gonzo Granzeau at April 19, 2004 11:09 AM

Funny stuff. In my head it was all acted out in the style of the 'Terrence and Philip' cartoon-within-a-cartoon from South Park. And thus it was even funnier.

Posted by Joe at April 19, 2004 11:26 AM

I actually did a spit-take when Pericles cut off the Fisherman in Pentapolis. Great stuff.

Posted by Ugarte at April 19, 2004 12:42 PM

PLEASE do more of these and let me know.
Better yet, publish a book and give me 1% of the earnings for coming up with the idea.. I'll make hundreds of thousands of dollars and laugh until my liver explodes... or something.

Seriously though.. do more. And let me know.

Cheers,
Brian

Posted by Brian at April 19, 2004 01:14 PM

You know, Francis, this play is obviously so bad that I'm not even sure giving it a We're All Dead-style treatment could rescue it.

Of course, as I was reading it through, I was imagining what it would look like as staged with marshmallow Peeps.

"Who's that guy I just made out with?"

"Romeo Montague."

"Shit."

Posted by debby at April 19, 2004 02:18 PM

holy crap on a stick.

If hollywood hasn't optioned this yet, I want to do the flash animated version.

kudos!

horklog

Posted by hork at April 19, 2004 02:51 PM

dude, you're better than book a minute.

we did five minute macbeth in highschool. we slaughtered it, naturally. it was great fun.

when's the complete works coming out?

Posted by lizard at April 19, 2004 05:42 PM

There's already a book called "The Skinhead Hamlet" that I found in my high-school library years ago, so I'm sure there's room for another good Shakespeare summary on the shelves!

-Evan

Posted by Evan at April 19, 2004 06:27 PM

We put "Pericles" on stage a couple of years ago (in St. Louis) and with all the shipwrecks, and ending up in totally different places than the exposition predicts, we had to have a chart just off stage to know what would happen next, even during performance. One night I ran down to a dressing room to change (from Skeevy Guy #1 to Pericles' manservant) and found a whole room full of actors piddling away the time, having completely lost track of the plot, yet again.

Posted by Richard at April 19, 2004 10:06 PM

"No one in history has ever survived a boat trip, after all."
LOL.

Although the play overall is much better (apparently) than this one, I always felt the same kind of logic applied to "Twelfth Night"

"They're twins, so no one can tell them apart!" Uh... generally speaking, male/female twins aren't identical. OK, generally and universally speaking.

Posted by Maggie at April 21, 2004 06:29 PM

That was hilarious, and stuff, but what the heck was wrong with "The Winter's Tale"? I had to write my Advanced Shakespeare paper on it (eons ago) and I thought it was pretty cool. It's the only play that has "exit, pursued by bear." What other play can claim that?

Lynn

Posted by Lynn at April 21, 2004 08:14 PM

I have had sex my cousin and lighting has not struck me yet.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!

Posted by Juanito at April 22, 2004 08:14 PM

Wow. That was painful. Excellent summary.

Posted by jofish at July 6, 2004 09:08 AM