Comments: For every reaction there is an equal and opposite overreaction

Dude, it was fabulous. That's all you need to know.

Everyone seems to have an opinion about something, and the intertubes gives each and EVERY one of those people a forum for stating it. For better or verse.

Posted by Deb Amlen at June 16, 2010 08:10 AM

Thanks again! I just didn't want the loopier comments to be lost to the ages. Though now I sort of wish I had responded in limerick form.

Posted by Francis at June 16, 2010 09:31 AM

Have to admit--my parents were beaten by it, and rarely give up on the Sunday. Generally, if my father can't figure the theme, he will hand it over and my mother will break the back of the thing for him. When I brought up the puzzle over the phone that night, she was still bitter about not getting it. I think she felt better when I told her it was yours.

And as an only-occasional crossword puzzle guy, I didn't even attempt it and just skipped to the answers. I thought it was pretty darned cool, though.

Thanks,
-V.

Posted by Vardibidian at June 16, 2010 09:36 AM

I thought it was pretty fantabulous as well, and I don't regularly do NYT crosswords (unless they are by somebody I know). I think the person who commented about the green tea clue is right, because I don't remember ever having been served GREEN tea with dim sum.

Posted by Guy at June 16, 2010 10:55 AM

Your crossword took hours to solve, and I would STILL be working on it (as of Wednesday) if I hadn't abruptly figured out "less yellow." And then all the pieces lined up, the solution blossomed forth, the roomful of 10,000 dominoes went "clackclackclack" and the walls fell. Thanks for a brilliant and satisfying puzzle -- you are a great man, Francis. Don't get a big head.

Posted by Gullible at June 16, 2010 11:09 AM

Guy: Maybe that tea isn't what I think it is? I'm pretty sure I've had green tea at dim sum -- as well as jasmine and chrysanthemum, which I actually prefer.

Gullible: Thanks! (Re the big head: too late!)

Posted by Francis at June 16, 2010 11:23 AM

The one thing I didn't care for about this puzzle was when Brian said "So tell me about this puzzle of Francis's that everyone's talking about" and I had to attempt to describe the theme in a concise, coherent fashion without visual aids.

This post reminds me why I never, ever read reviews of my puzzles. I tend to get too irritated by the criticisms, especially the ones that I think are invalid, no matter how many people rave about the puzzle.

Posted by Trip at June 16, 2010 11:35 AM

Fun puzzle. My only complaint is, why was MALTA not replaced with RED/WHITE?

Posted by Richard at June 16, 2010 12:14 PM

Oh, dammit, now I have to rewrite it again.

Posted by Francis at June 16, 2010 01:45 PM

I figured out what was going on immediately from FRANCES BEAN, but it was still a tricky solve, and a heck of a lot of fun.

Also, Wikipedia says that jasmine tea (which has always been the default when I've gone for dim sum) can be a form of green tea. And Wikipedia would never lie to us!

Posted by debby at June 16, 2010 03:55 PM

Absolutely loved it, it was hard but doable, took me way longer than the usual Sunday. Eternally grateful that you included the colors in the clues or I would still be solving it a week later.

Posted by Sheera at June 16, 2010 05:10 PM

love love loved it!

Posted by beth at June 18, 2010 01:34 PM

The greatest disappointment is yet to be: When St. Martin's Press reprints this puzzle in a book, the answer grid will be highly compromised. They can't do color.

Posted by Jon88 at June 20, 2010 10:11 AM

A: you make me laugh all the time.

B: anyone who is foolish enough to keep their food in their tent desrves to have it ripped open by bears.

Posted by Dianna at June 20, 2010 10:45 AM

The BEST puzzle since Ernst Theimer's "planted Antonyms" back in 1986.

Posted by James at June 21, 2010 02:26 PM

Extraordinary unit! Although I had produced my own fears in the beginning, whenever We lowered this paws into these minor components of fog, We lost his balance for each other. buy wow account are usually utilized all they wanted and even from a technical perspective (amazingly!). I own this buy wow account found in typical dark chocolate dark brown, extensive, and that i draw these individuals very nearly year long! I certainly will obtain by myself one more set of two or possibly only two. Be sure to try this product-it's fantastic; easy to slip on, wonderful, fashionable, vogue!

Posted by buy wow account at October 22, 2013 01:51 AM