Comments: The left, right or wrong

I didn't realize there was a prostitute jar. That sounds kind of inhumane.

Posted by The Dan at March 12, 2008 10:48 AM

Wow. I was kinda enjoying the nasty and vicious responses from Democrats and lefties who were largely saying "what an asshole, I hope he resigns today, the prick". I knew I was just saving up agita for myself when in a week or two the other side started claiming we were hypocrites for supporting Spitzer, despite the clear record of nasty and vicious responses, but I was enjoying it anyway. Now if Democrats.com are really going to support him, then there's nothing to enjoy about the whole thing.

What's your personal record now for Governors-resigned-in-disgrace? I'm at two, and that's not counting the one who resigned to take an ambassadorship he didn't get.

Thanks,
-V.

Posted by Vardibidian at March 12, 2008 11:06 AM

Eh. I think he should resign because of the potential effect of his story on the presidential campaign - and that's pretty much it. It's a personal matter. I'm not married to that view, though.

Posted by Ken at March 12, 2008 11:35 AM

Dan: See, that's exactly why the industry needs to be regulated.

Vardibidian: I can only think of Arizona's Evan Mecham, who did not resign but was impeached (and I was only technically an Arizona resident at the time; mostly I was in New Mexico attending college).

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 11:42 AM

He's resigning anyway, but for the record, I was in favor of his resignation, but then got turned against it by Talking Points Memo, who point out that prostitution, of all the public crimes there are, rarely results in conviction or jail time anyway--for precisely the reason you mention: it doesn't hurt anyone and ought to be fucking legal. Yes, he's a hypocrite, but hypocrisy in one area doesn't mean he won't continue to go after corporate malfeasance, which is what he made most of his career on (and which is why I voted for him). If Barney Frank had resigned after he was caught with a gay prostitute, the House of Representatives would be much poorer. I'm glad that didn't happen, and I think if Spitzer had stuck this out, it would have eventually just become a punchline, but not a serious moral point, the way the press winked at Giuliani having had a mistress. But if he wants to resign in order to take one for the team, and in the process we get our first blind governor, I guess that's progress of a sort as well.

Posted by Bourbon Cowboy at March 12, 2008 11:55 AM

According to Geraldine Ferraro, David Paterson is lucky to be blind.

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 12:08 PM

But seriously. Would this have blown over? I guess it's possible. But the scandal is so huge, I just don't see how he could have possibly governed after this. Moot point now, though, I suppose.

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 12:14 PM

Hmm, who is Democrats.com anyway? They're not actually the party proper, right?

Posted by dave glasser at March 12, 2008 12:26 PM

No, they're an activist group along the lines of MoveOn.

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 12:36 PM

Am I misunderstanding the situation, or isn't the real legal problem that he used state money to pay for the "incidentals" (travel, hotel, minibar)?

Posted by Jon88 at March 12, 2008 12:56 PM

That part I don't know any details about (so if anyone's read anything to that effect, please chime in). I was under the impression that the escorts were hired on trips that were otherwise official business, so expenses like the hotel room would be legit even if he was having sex in it. Now, if he used state money to pay for the prostitutes, that would be another thing -- but I think he's wealthy enough that he wouldn't need to do that.

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 01:03 PM

Here's where Spitzer cedes any claim to being pro-woman: He was looking to buy sex without a condom. Was he first going to submit his medical records so she'd have reasonable evidence that he wasn't going to transmit any diseases to her?

Posted by Orange at March 12, 2008 01:41 PM

Yeah, that's another check mark in the skeeve column.

Posted by Francis at March 12, 2008 02:06 PM

Why resign? The mayor of Detroit, Kwame Kilpatrick, didn't - he made his girlfriend resign. His old lady actually HELD HIS HAND while he apologized for his kwame-salami slinging. But here's what I really want to know: Who were the morons that Spitz was kissing on the mouth in the reception line after his apology?
Just lovely.

Posted by TwoDogs at March 13, 2008 11:59 AM

heh heh heh "naked partisan Republican assault" it just writes itself really.

Posted by Lance at March 15, 2008 08:44 PM

Beauty is not just about the hair and face, but also the nails and other parts of the body.

Posted by novatrek at December 19, 2008 10:24 AM

To find everything you need to know about hair extensions you've come to the best place.

Posted by cissiee37g at December 19, 2008 11:00 AM

Eyelash extensions are an entirely new method of enhancing the length and thickness of eyelashes.

Posted by aaronhyl at December 19, 2008 11:36 AM