Comments: Theatre of the absurd

In his therapy this guy must be talking about being in a dream world of the past, out of touch with current reality.

Posted by Ellen at November 21, 2005 08:37 PM

Perhaps you should't be seeing a therapist in a cave in Mongolia?

Posted by Lance at November 21, 2005 10:05 PM

I thought those things were portable Victrolas. What's a Walkman? I don't get out much.

Posted by Cowboy Joe at November 21, 2005 11:33 PM

"Hey, what's that thing on your desk with all the little squares with the letters and numbers and stuff on them? Why do you keep touching the squares?"

Posted by Orange at November 21, 2005 11:41 PM

That's the worst pickup line I've heard in a while.

Posted by Rich at November 22, 2005 07:04 AM

All right. I'm gonna defend this guy. I don't quite live in Mongolia -- just Minnesota. And sure enough, iPods have made their way up north. We have heard the rumors, and on occasion, actually spotted such beasts. I even saw a guy in the elevator today wearing one. Yes, gosh, really.

However, I wonder how easily one can detect, from a distance, the difference between modern Walkman-type players from the oh-so-au-courant iPods. Miniaturization has made great (or should that be many tiny?) strides. Betcha that ten years from now, iPods will be quite quaint. And in fifty years -- heck, they won't plug directly into our brains, so what use will they be?

Posted by Atom at November 22, 2005 03:02 PM

I once went into a Radio Shack to buy a camera battery. This was around 2000 or so. I took out my Palm III, where I'd made a note of what kind of battery I needed to get. Whereupon a *Radio Shack employee* said, in utter seriousness, "Hey, what's that?"

Dumbfounded, I explained what a PDA was. She thought it was a pretty nifty idea.

Posted by Rick at November 22, 2005 04:30 PM

My students didn't know what my Palm was, either. They'd never heard of a PDA, and thought it was really cool. It's kind of understandable, though - PDAs never really took off, here. It's mobile phones all the way.

Posted by BadAunt at November 25, 2005 10:21 PM