Comments: Cross, part 3

The crimson rose crayon was always my favorite.

Posted by Orange at November 10, 2005 10:03 AM

Perhaps he meant "the nuts" (1920s slang, 'extremely pleasing' or 'extremely unpleasant').

Posted by saphir at November 10, 2005 02:50 PM

And BTW, the misexplained cryptic clue is where I gave up hope of the book redeeming itself. The completeness of the emperor's nudity was revealed.

Posted by saphir at November 10, 2005 02:56 PM

I'm just happy that I've finally seen (not that I looked very hard) a straightforward translation of how the British clues work. I've understood them generally, but now I might be able to actually do them. Maybe.

Posted by Charles at November 10, 2005 03:24 PM

Charles: the Guardian has been running a series of short articles about solving cryptic crosswords. Try http://browse.guardian.co.uk/search?search=%22How+to+solve+crosswords%22

Posted by Matt at November 10, 2005 04:05 PM

Conversely, now that I hear that somebody's nudity will be completely revealed, I'm even more interested in reading the book.

Posted by Billy Joel at November 10, 2005 06:06 PM

Dolt.

Posted by Lance at November 11, 2005 05:49 PM

Hey, Billy Joel used to be a boxer and took a lot of blows to the head. It's very inconsiderate of you to expect him to be working on the same level as the rest of the readers of Heaneyland.

Posted by Francis at November 11, 2005 05:52 PM

I'm still unsure why you didn't just limit yourself to "This book is complete and utter crap from beginning to end." There must be some work you're avoiding.

Posted by Rick at November 11, 2005 05:55 PM

Hey, it's one thing to say something is utter crap. That's easy, and I've seen it on the Internets very often.

On the other hand, to document each piece of corn, and to explicitly explain why it couldn't be digested, takes a great deal of analysis, so to speak.

Among many other flaws, that idiotic explanation of the cryptic clue cemented my dismay with this book. And I'm going to flush it ... now. Ahh, the sweet relief of justice!

Posted by Atom at November 15, 2005 11:03 AM

That cryptic clue explanation made me put down the book and stare into space for a good two minutes. Guess it's true that some books today, even from major publishers, are completely unedited.

At some point, I began reading the book for its crypto-autobiographical content as much as for its crossword content.

Posted by Eric at November 25, 2005 05:59 PM