Comments: Midday mildness

Raw Chicken Livers???? I think that's the point at which I would have bailed, and I have a high gross-out point.

Also, I have to say your description of SUBWAY MADNESS!!!1!!! is much funnier than, say, actually living through it would have been. I salute the MTA for enabling your art.

Posted by Erin at October 24, 2005 02:50 PM

I've done one Haystack (this year) and one MM (in 2001, for the purpose of being interviewed for the New Yorker article that came out in 2002). If I have to get physically exhausted walking around, I'd rather do it while solving good puzzles, so the Haystack wins hands-down.

From the limited sample of what you asked me to Google, it sounds like MM puzzles weren't especially satisfying. Like "look for a name you never heard of on a plaque in a park you never heard of." Is there a summary online?

I'll talk about my bat mitzvah subway experience on my blog.

Posted by Ellen at October 24, 2005 03:40 PM

You say that the Bronx zoo stil has the National Collection of Heads and Horns, but the web site your link pointed to claims that "The National Collection of Heads and Horns is currently display at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming." Maybe only some small piece of it remains in the Bronx?

The link also contained the fascinating piece of information that

"In 1940, the Collection held 2,371 specimens. When the Club assumed ownership of the National Collection in 1978 only 238 specimens remained."

with no clue as to the cause. Is head and horn theft rampant? Did they forget to preserve the specimens properly, causing them to rot? Or were some of the heads and horns on live animals, which simply wandered away?

The profession of "party ringer" sounds fascinating. They keep a low profile, though; I could only find one site offering party ringers on Google.

I wonder if there are party ringers for adult parties, or only for 13-year olds?

Posted by Andy at October 25, 2005 03:28 PM

Oh, huh -- perhaps it's just the building that used to house the collection that's still at the zoo. We didn't actually go inside, as the zoo was officially closed by the time we got there, so the doors were locked, but we did admire the "Collection of Heads and Horns" inscribed in stone above the door.

Posted by Francis at October 25, 2005 03:58 PM

Those peppy dancing people are called "motivators" or just "dancers." I think it would be a fun job, but unfortunately I'm 30 years too old for it.

Posted by Ellen at October 25, 2005 05:58 PM

I performed "Stacey's Mom" at a karaoke event at my community college last week.

Posted by Hooligan at November 6, 2005 05:40 PM