Comments: The caret and the shtick

Goddamnit, Francis! You are funny. I did indeed receive a copy of Holy Tango for my birthday this morning, and every page makes me snicker. I wasn't sure you could top T.S. Eliot's "Toilets" right at the beginning, but the haiku! The Islamic owls! The...the...everything.

I look forward to seeing the above blurb on the back cover of your next book, under "praise for Francis Heaney's previous book."

So sweet of you to mention Rose's sexual prowess in the preface! Most authors neglect to do that, and it's shameful, really shameful.

And don't think I didn't notice your Roman numeral system, you sneaky bastard.

Posted by Orange at August 15, 2005 07:30 PM

Wow, I really shut everyone up, huh?

Posted by Orange at August 16, 2005 11:31 AM

Well, I mean, what's left to say after that? My commenters have excellent netiquette skills and don't post endless strings of "Me too!" and "I agree!" comments, appropriate though they might be after such effusive praise of me.

Posted by Francis at August 16, 2005 11:35 AM

Ooo, me too! I agree!
Seriously, I could be your English agent - I have bought a great big stash of Holy Tango which I am giving to all of my friends and relatives for their birthdays.
Please could you write a new book for next year's presents.

Posted by Poppy at August 17, 2005 10:59 AM

Actually, I think Francis might get a bit leery if other authors started praising Rose's sexual prowess in their books. I could be wrong, though.

Posted by Tortoise at August 18, 2005 09:00 PM

Well, they wouldn't be wrong. And it might not mean what you think; it could just be that they have installed secret spycams in our bedroom.

Posted by Francis at August 18, 2005 09:04 PM

And that's not something to be leery about? I guess you are significantly less uptight than I would be in such a situation.

Or maybe they'd just be basing their appraisal on your preface. In that case, I hope they include a proper MLA citation. Because the only thing worse than other authors sleeping with your wife or installing secret spycams in your bedroom is PLAGIARISM. Yup.

Posted by Tortoise at August 18, 2005 09:58 PM