Comments: So much funny for not much money

Speaking of Stay Free!, I saw a copy of the issue with your flash mob piece at Wild Oats supermarket in (I think) Medford, Massachusetts this weekend. It was well-placed in the check-out counter. Couldn't miss it.

Posted by jason at June 1, 2005 12:15 AM

I tried to find you after the show last night, but you had already left. I was one who was laughing really loud the whole time. Oh wait, that was everybody.

I quite enjoyed your crossword puzzle. As a math guy, 65 across really made me chuckle. I've always been impressed that anyone could ever actually make a crossword, what with the overlapping words and symmetry and all. So the fact that there's a new one in the paper every day seems near-miraculous to me. Just curious, how long did it take you to make the crossword, and is it your first one?

Posted by John at June 1, 2005 01:00 PM

Sorry I missed you -- Rose and I had neglected to, oh, *eat anything* before the movie, so we dashed out pretty quickly to forage for food. (We ended up at the 24-hour bagel place.)

Glad you liked the crossword. It's far from my first -- I've been writing puzzles since, like, 1993 or so, and was Editor at Large for Games magazine for several years. The one in Stay Free! took me a few hours to fill (once I had the theme entries laid out) and a couple hours to write the clues for. It was fun to do since Stay Free! is not a traditional puzzle venue, so I got to write loopier clues than most puzzle editors would let me get away with.

Posted by Francis at June 1, 2005 01:13 PM

Hey! Is Stay Free available at many bookstores? If not, is the puzzle online somewhere? If not, can you bring some copies to LA?

Posted by Jangler at June 1, 2005 08:02 PM

Sounds fun. I wish Boston was cool. *resumes game of Snood*

Posted by Mary at June 2, 2005 10:21 AM

Stay Free is available in the indie book stores across the US and Canada, and in Tower and Borders. Or you can buy it online at http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order.html

Posted by Carrie McLaren at June 4, 2005 07:37 PM